Mostly Vegan Chickpea Salad
July 3, 2015
This is a simple greans and chickpea salad that packs a lot of flavor. With the hot weather we’ve been having you can try roasting the chickpeas in the morning while it’s still cool- and turning on your oven doesn’t turn your house into a furnace- and then assemble the cooled chickpeas ith the rest of the salad for a nice light dinner.
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon white miso
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon honey (switch this for an alternative sweetener for a vegan dish)
Pinch of ground white pepper
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon (or more, to taste) curry powder
Two big handfuls of greens
2 large carrots
1 cup roasted spicy chickpeas
1 mango, peeled and sliced
1/2 an avocado, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine chickpeas, olive oil, and curry powder or other seasoning on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Toss to coat well.
- Roast chickpeas for 30-40 minutes until crunchy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.
- To assemble salad, make carrot ribbons by using a vegetable peeler to slice wide ribbons or, just slice into thin rounds.
- Mix greens, carrot ribbons, roasted chickpeas, mango, and avocado. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.
Serves 2 generously as a main course.